Monday, May 18, 2009

I refuse to move from this chair

Blech, I'm whooped. This was a surprisingly long weekend, which is always fun but it left me completely drained. I guess it's back to munching spinach leaves, for me! Mmmm, iron.

Here is our weekend in photos:

Friday nights' movie-in-the-park adventure. I fell asleep on Sam long before those three year olds tired out!



















Saturday morning we went to see Angels and Demons. It.was.wow. Ewan McGregor is so convincingly guileless as the Camerlengo. I know that The DaVinci Code had Christians all up in arms and I haven't heard the response to this movie, yet, but I don't see any basis for offense in Angels and Demons. The plot is as follows: Humans are flawed, even the leaders of the Catholic church. Religion and science need to find some common ground and quit trying to get rid of the other. You never know who to trust. See, what's wrong with that? Whereas DaVinci code had Prof. Langdon solving the mystery of Jesus' earthly family and basically shaking the basis of Christian faith, Angels and Demons just shows the catastrophic effect of religious radicals taking their beliefs too far. It does not assume that all Christians are radicals, in fact it has some very complex, humble characters who make a strong case for the rest of us. But through some crafty filmmaking you are constantly second-guessing who is honest and who is faking everything.














Saturday afternoon I found this awesome home store that I think I wrote about yesterday... it was super inspirational. Everything in it was hand-picked by the owner, from Indonesia, Thailand, Peru, China, etc. American antiques are cool and all, but there's just something spectacular about a 300 year old apothecary cabinet from India.














Of course, after spending a while in there my brain wouldn't stop imagining what I'll do with our first house. I woke up unnaturally early on Sunday morning with my head full of color schemes! Phoenix is eternally blue skies and sunny with lots of deserty brown everywhere so I want to counteract those influences with mostly overcast gray walls (everywhere normal people would use white!) and accents walls in apple green, BMW Mystique Blue and anything that can look watery. So I spent most of Sunday afternoon cutting out ideas from my vast collection of ripped up decorating magazines and gluing them with paint samples in a notebook. That's my idea of a good afternoon!!













We also found a new church, Sunday. Living Streams, in Phoenix. It was pretty wonderful and we're excited for the potential it holds for us to get involved and finally make some friends.

No comments: